Ideally, you would grow your favorite plants in your backyard or garden but let’s be honest; there is a good chance you don’t have a ‘backyard’ or enough space to have a lush garden. This is where vertical gardens come in; the vertical gardening system enables you to grow a variety of different plants in a limited area without any inconvenience.
The vertical garden system enables you to decorate your home with a myriad of plants in a practical way that fits your aesthetic and even enhances the look of your wall space. One of the best things about the vertical planters is that you can practice this anywhere from balconies and offices to patios. You can set up these wall gardens anywhere around your home.
With that being said, in this extensive buying guide, I will walk you through all that you need to know about the vertical gardening system and more. So let’s get started.
Table of Contents
What is a Vertical Garden?
A vertical garden is a highly efficient system that allows you to grow plants without soil on freely suspended panels; these uniquely arranged structures are either fixed to the wall space or put up freely in the air. Also, vertical garden systems differ greatly based on their usability and size; you can use them to cover your entire living wall or around your little photo frame.
The primary concept of the vertical garden was discovered back in 1938 by Stanley White and was put into action 40 years later by Patrick Blanc, a French botanist. Patrick formulated the irrigation technique revolving around the hydroponic system of the modern wall garden.
Why Start a Vertical Garden?
Vertical gardens, commonly known as eco walls, wall gardens, or green walls, help you to subtly add a piece of nature into modern spaces. In addition, these highly efficient wall gardens improve the overall air quality to regulate your body’s endocrine system by lowering the stress levels in busy environments.
Moreover, these green walls are designed to promote sustainable living by decreasing energy consumption and diminishing the noise levels in workspaces as vertical gardens act as biological filters. That being said, let’s look at a few more reasons to add these Vertical Gardens in your space.
Vertical gardens are primarily designed to give your space a natural aesthetic and even elevate its overall look. These eco walls elevate the ambiance of the environment, making it more engaging and modern by using vertical garden kits.
Vertical garden kits can be installed anywhere from small spaces to areas with extensive pest and degraded soil. These green walls are incredibly versatile as they can work efficiently in extreme weather conditions and other diverse environments. So if you’ve some vacant tiny space or an idle area around your home, you can go right ahead and set up eco walls.
Vertical Garden Kits
If you want to create a lush green lively garden, the care and maintenance of your plants is an absolute priority. Luckily, there are garden kits available in the market for you to give your beloved garden all the care. Here, I have picked some of the best vertical garden kits for you.
1. Fleximounts Vertical Garden Bed
If you’re looking for a freely suspended vertical gardening bed without any stability issues that lets you grow strawberries, fresh herbs, flowers, and edible plants conveniently, then the Fleximount garden stand is a great pick. This indoor vertical garden bed is extremely durable as it is manufactured using polypropylene plastic and a steel coat, making it suitable for use anywhere.
Moreover, this vertical garden is integrated with an extreme drainage holes system and drip tray, allowing smooth water elimination during rain. The fleximount vertical bed comes with an ergonomic design, making it easy to assemble all the bins. In addition, it is crafted dynamically, which enables unrestricted growth of the plants by allowing adequate sunlight exposure. The Fleximount vertical kit has an overall rating of 4.5 on Amazon by numerous users worldwide.
- Extremely easy & convenient to setup
- Durable structure
- Provides extensive space for proper growth
- Integrated with a top-notch drainage system with rain gutters
- Great built quality with a food-grade polypropylene plastic
- Coated with Steel
- Contains 4 bins of 27 lbs each
- Allows unrestricted exposure to direct sunlight
- Ergonomic design
- Ideal for patio, balcony, etc
- Contains no lead or mercury
- Slightly heavy
- It’d be ideal if it gets more elevated
2. Saraqusta Indoor Vertical Garden System
The Saraqusta vertical garden kit is a heavy-duty vertical planter; it’s crafted using solid materials like polypropylene and metal. It comes with an incredibly stable metal frame, which helps resist harsh environmental conditions like extreme sunlight exposure and rain for long years to come. This vertical stand has an augmented aesthetic design, which looks great indoors or anywhere in your garden, patio, etc.
Moreover, this stand comes with a hyperdynamic curved structure, which helps maximize its holding capacity in narrow and small spaces to enhance your furnishings. The Saraqusta vertical garden is an absolute bang for the buck, it comes with gardening accessories like a shovel, and rake, making the entire gardening process smooth. You can order this vertical gardening kit for less than $140; it has an average rating of 4.3 on Amazon from home gardeners worldwide.
- Comes with a full gardening kit
- Easy to assemble
- Enabled with 4 pots
- Ergonomic design
- Rigid built quality
- Extremely economical with a lightweight
- 6 feet tall and installed with a rigid frame to prevent chipping, bending etc.
- Perfect for patio, balcony & backyard
- Not spacious enough
- Certain users received packages without installation items
3. Meiwo Hanging Vertical Gardens Wall
The latest iteration of the freely suspended vertical garden by Meiwo is all you need to grow your favorite plants with ease; this garden wall is manufactured using self-absorbing, felt cloth. It is incredibly rugged and provides sufficient breathability for the proper growth of the plants. Furthermore, it is incorporated with 7 pockets, adequate for holding plants.
Meiwo crafted this vertical garden wall to provide quick solutions at an extremely affordable price range of less than $20. This corrosion-free material is dynamically designed to promote sustainable living as it is completely reusable. Furthermore, this vertical gardening kit comes with deep pockets, facilitating better usability. You can place this kit anywhere around your home for only $14; it has an overall rating of 4.1 on Amazon by thousands of home gardeners worldwide.
- Completely water-resistant
- Comes with a dynamic design & deeper pockets
- Enabled with the installation using nails, tie, or simply by hanging
- Fabricated using felt cloth
- Easy process of transplantation
- More in the affordable range
- Incorporated with 7 wide pockets
- Easy to assemble
- Big on saving space
- Ideal for creating a herb garden
- Highly functional tarp material
- Inability to hold heavyweight
- Material gets dull with time
- Dries the soil quickly
4. Vivosun Vertical Gardening Planter
Here’s another high-quality vertical gardening bed by Vivosun; it’s a tier 5 product manufactured using the best in class materials like the food grade polypropylene plastic. This vertical planter is entirely crack resistant and can easily be placed anywhere around in your kitchen or balcony to grow fresh herbs, flowers, edible plants and vegetables.
The Vivuson vertical gardening kit has the total capacity to hold 15 pots. This stand is integrated with an efficient drainage system that eliminates excess water readily. Moreover, with the latest self watering system feature, it can store a decent amount of water to irrigate your plants autonomously for better usability. So go right ahead and shop for this top notch vertical gardening kit for less than $70 to grow heartwarming plants.
- Tier 5 stackable planters
- Perfect for creating small plants and vegetable gardens
- Manufactured using high-quality PP material
- BPA- free
- Completely UV- Resistant
- Crack & Fade proof for better usability
- Comes with a bottom for self-watering
- Integrated with excess water draining feature
- Contains holes to trap the muddy water
- Enabled with 15 pots
- Heavy built quality
- Extremely economical with a lightweight
- Ideal for office, patio, balcony & backyard
- Not spacious enough
- Certain users faced issues with the color of the product.
5. CoLuck Vertical Raised Garden Bed
CoLuck Vertical garden is one of the most in-demand planter beds; it comes pre-installed with lockable swivel wheels, making it incredibly efficient for you to move your lush green plants around. This vertical stand is designed primarily to enhance the overall yield and airflow for the better development of the plants.
Moreover, the CoLuck vertical garden is enabled with an augmented drainage system, which prevents over-irrigation and creates a reservoir for excess water. This freely moveable vertical garden stand can hold 5 removable plant beds, making it easy for the healthier growth of plants, herbs, flowers, etc.
So whether you’re looking for a movable hanging stand with a sturdy design or pots with mesh shelves, you should consider the latest CoLuck vertical garden stand for only $148. It comes with a moderate rating of 4.1 on Amazon by a plethora of gardening enthusiasts all around the world.
- Primarily designed to increase the yield
- Comes with smooth swivel wheels
- Holds extra storage for the gardening tools
- Improve airflow
- Integrated with detachable trays
- Easy to assemble
- Sturdy built quality
- More in an economical range
- Solid frame
- Perfect for individuals with neck or back issues
- Material used is not crack resistant
- Wheels stop working if not maintained
How to Set Up A Vertical Garden
If you are new to this whole gardening gig, then these tips might come in handy while setting up your vertical garden.
Exposure to Enough Sunlight
It’s essential to consider the positioning of the wall space for proper growth of the plants so that your plant gets the ideal amount of sunlight for its development which enables them to create their own food through the process of photosynthesis. But the amount of daylight required by plants depends on certain factors; many plants may need direct exposure to enough sunlight, while others may thrive on indirect contact.
So whether you intend to place the kit for indoor use or outdoor space, make sure you determine the plant type to purchase a suitable vertical garden kit.
Plants You Can Grow in Your Vertical Garden
When starting out with any gardening endeavor, it’s crucial to select the plants that can thrive in a particular environment. Here are a few plants you can consider growing in your wall garden.
- Ferns: If you’re looking for incredibly adaptive plants with high humidity resistance, you should definitely consider growing ferns. These plants grow downward in direction and hang perfectly on the vertically suspended walls.
- Vines: These delightful plants are ideal if you desire something low on maintenance. Vines grow effectively under indirect exposure to enough sunlight. There are a variety of vine species available in the market; some of them blossom beautifully, like Clematis, Wisteria, and Roses.
- Succulents: These plants require little to absolutely no attention. Succulents are thick fleshy leaves or stems that are adapted in a way to hold an extensive amount of water. These succulents comes in range of different species like Echeveria, Sempervivum, and Crassula to design
- Air Plants: yes, you heard it right. These plants require no soil, and they grow incredibly well under direct exposure to sunlight.
Vertical Garden Design Ideas You Can Consider
Undoubtedly, there are a plethora of techniques and systematic designs that you can consider to set up your indoor vertical gardening system. It is beneficial if you take into consideration all the benefits and other limitations of every particular system to fulfill your gardening endeavors.
Hydroponic System for Systematic Vertical Gardening
Hydroponic systems primarily revolve around growing lush green plants in the absence of soil. It is also referred to as tower gardens, tower hydroponics, and tower grow systems.
Also, the hydroponic systems help increase overall efficiency by reducing the overall waste production. With appropriate systems in place, you can grow at least 5 plants in the same area used by 1 plant. It not only helps you save space but also requires less care and maintenance.
Container Design Method
Initiate the process of setting up your vertical garden by arranging pots in an upright manner. Make sure the pots are correctly placed for you to drag them around without intervening with surrounding plants. The container type of design involves the usage of regular soil, unlike hydroponics systems.
There are a variety of plants like vines, bougainvilleas, and clematis that are suitable for growing on trellis systems. It’s an incredibly efficient method as it requires less space to grow healthy plants.
What Are The Best Plants To Grow In An Indoor Vertical Garden System?
With an appropriate vertical garden in a place, you can conveniently grow herbs and vegetables. Nevertheless, it is crucial to grow plants with an equivalent maturation index. So make sure you consider certain factors like correctly pairing the plants that grow under similar exposure to the sunlight and require uniform water concentration.
There are many plants, herbs, and vegetables that you can consider growing if you have an appropriate vertical garden kit in place. Here, I have picked some of the best suited edible plants you can garden.
My Final Thoughts
Vertical Gardens are practical as well as aesthetically pleasing to put up in your space. As much as you wish to have a full-blown garden, the small modern spaces can hinder the dreams of a big garden. However, with these green walls, you can still grow a variety of plants like lettuce, flowers, chives, rosemary, and more.
Keeping in mind the growing conditions and taking help from garden kits, you can have a thriving vertical garden in no time. Happy Gardening!